Sunday 23 June 2013

Veggie Garden: v2.0

Kicking off this blog with a brand new veggie garden... gotta be the best way to start!
 
Today I started getting our new veggie patch ready by trying to get our soil full of nutrients.  This is still a very new area to me, and only one that I have recently learned of due to depleting the nutrients in my soil previously... turns out soil won't absorb water (and therefore get to the plants) if it isn't healthy.  Lesson learned! Additionally, while researching this, I also learned that buy getting the right compost/manure/fertiliser into the soil, the plants will grow strong, be full of flavour and nutrients... and this is where the bokashi buckets and composters came into our lives...
 
As I had started trying to improve my soil before, and also because we had to, all of it was moved to our new house.  This is a great thing as I learned today that our soil here is clay... not very cool... and in all honesty I have no idea what to do with that!
 
What Nessa and I did today was to do a few layers going to get the worms working start building the nutrients up in the soil.  Now I do have a confession... by the time we removed some of the weeds, moved all of the 'imported' soil and got down to the 'ground' my back and legs were sore, I was tired and laziness kicked in... due to the powers of impatience, laziness and improvising the first layer became pine bark mulch! Over the top of this we placed some soil, followed by a very small layer of composted cow manure (accidentally under-calculated) more soil and then over the top we placed worm castings.
 
My plan for all of this was to originally leave it for a couple of weeks, but now I think I might invest in some more manure and lay it over the top to break down and add more value to the soil.  I also need to look at what I would like to plant there and how soon, as if I won't be planting anything for a while, I might also do a green manure crop, which will also help with keeping weeds away.
 
Until then, I will leave you with a picture of our handiwork today...
 
The beginnings of our v2.0 veggie garden...
smaller than before, but hopefully with a lot more potential
 

No comments:

Post a Comment